Friday, November 02, 2007

Wednesday

This was my day (Wednesday the 31st) in pictures, and some words.

My roommate Diana and I at Narikala!
We had some guests (stumrebi) from America here for a couple days. So, on Wednesday they came with us to the School of Tomorrow (where we teach English) and then around Tbilisi. Dennis (base leader) drove us up to Narikala, and showed them around a bit. Diana and I spent most of our time trying to take good pictures. I think I had like 20 of me, and they were all funny for some reason. I'm pretty sure this is the best one that turned out. :-)


Me and one of my "gypsy" friends!
Me and Nino (I think that's her name, I'm pretty sure she's told me that her name was something different before...but this time she said Nino) and she said this is her baby, Aisha. I'm not sure about that either. But, she's one of the girls that I call my friends downtown. I'm not sure if they are really for sure Gypsies, but I know that they hang out downtown and beg for money, and they've been doing it for a long time. I'm building friendships with them, and it's really cool, although most of the Georgians walking on the street look at me like I'm crazy! Anyways, the other day I took one of the other girls not pictured here, Sabina, to a Cafe and ate pizza...and the rest of the kids like really wanted me to take them to cafe too. But I couldn't. So, when I saw her on Wednesday, like the first question she asked me was, "Can we go to the Cafe?". I didn't take her then, but I think I'll take her next time. I want to find out who she really is!


My Bebo (grandmother) Luba and I on Rustaveli!
This is my "bebo", or grandmother! She also begs for money downtown, but I think it's because she either has no pension, or it's too small for her to live on. And I don't think she can much work. But I met her when I was in Tbilisi this last time. I can't remember if she was there when I first arrived, but I know she was there before I left to have some time in the States. And she remembered me this time too! Her name is Luba. :-)


(L-R) Kierna, Me, Diana, Trissa
And this was the end of our day. After some great khinkhali, msvadi and other Georgian food at a restaurant! These 2 girls are the American guests that we had. They came to bring some vitamins to an orphanage. And there was another girl too, Diana #2, who is taking this picture. She's the girl that came from Canada, but who's Georgian...and she's pretty cool! I have one picture of us, but it's really not very good (one of those Narikala ones!)...so hopefully I'll get one soon and I'll post it. While we were waiting for the bus, the girls saw the director of the orphanage they visited. And we don't know for sure, but Diana #2 said that she saw a vitamin bottle in one of her bags...maybe they were filled, I don't know. But I've heard that it's very common when people bring things to orphanages, that the kids never actually get it. I just hope that that was not the case in this situation!

It was a very good day. A little cold, and we were very tired at the end. But it was very good. Trissa and Kierna left late that night to continue on their trip, but they really loved Georgia and hope to come back. So we will see!!

No comments: