Tuesday, September 22, 2009

holland is da bomb.

Hallllooooo!!!

I'm in Holland and I'm really really loving it! But I have heard that the first stage of being in another culture is the "honeymoon" part where everything is amazing and beautiful and you love it-- and then you begin to see all the negative things. So I'm just really praying that I won't get to that part. I only have 3 months and I don't want to waste it on having a bad attitude and getting offended about different cultural things that I can't control or change. Really praying!

Our course will start on Wednesday and so these days I'm just kind of getting introduced to living here. I've rented my bike (which is super amazing-- I'll have to take some pictures and show you!) and that's my transportation! The place where we live is kind of like a village, but a modernized-ish one, but quaint and quiet and cute and green and beautiful! And the base is in a neighboring village, so I ride on a bike trail through the forest to get there! We'll have most of our lectures, etc. at the base. I think pretty much the only negative thing about the bike is that my bottom is reallllllyy sore...! But I think after a few days it will get used to it! :-) And also I have yet to ride in the rain... but I'm sure I'll experience that soon enough. BUT I pretty much love my bike.

The town is also very cute. Lots of cute shops. Lots of things calling at me to buy them because they either don't exist in Georgia, aren't as good quality or are cheaper here-- but I'm trying to remember that my happiness is not birthed from an abundance of cute possessions. :-) I'm sure I will buy some things, but I'm definitely having a challenge in self-control and keeping my perspective in tempting times!!

So, yeah! I'm really enjoying it here! I feel like it's really a gift from God! I'm sure though that when I start studying I will be more focused on that than on being continually amazed at my surroundings!!!-- but for now I'm enjoying it. :-)

Thanks for all your prayers and interests!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're funny :o) Glad you're enjoying it lots. See you in November, hopefully.....
Lotsoflove,
Kx

Unknown said...

Awesome news! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself beyond belief. Question though, did you experience the "honeymoon" feeling when you went to Georgia?

From my perspective, you've absolutely fallen in love with the first exotic place you've been, so it's hard for me to believe that you will grow to hate the second.