Thursday, April 09, 2009

some hopefully accurate thoughts

What to say, what to say?

There are protests happening in Georgia now, against the president. People say he's to blame for the war and they want him to resign. All that I am able to see is what the media portrays-- but still I find in my heart that I have like compassion, or something, for Saakashvili and his family. He's like one normal man leading a whole (not entirely stable) nation-- that once was for him, and now is against him. I can totally picture that he's laying awake in bed thinking how he got into this situation, rifling through all the feelings (and hatred stirred up by these feelings) of rejection, wishing that he could be just a normal person living happily and anonymously with his family.

We are so hard on our leaders-- whether it's the president, or our boss, or our pastor... We all think that we know better, that we can do better. We blame them for anything that goes wrong. We expect perfection. But we forget that these leaders are people just like us. Are we perfect? No. Do we make mistakes? Yes (if we're humble enough to admit it). I can totally say that I am experiencing a sort of "karma" effect in this area. I can be critical of the leaders in my life too, in the past more so then now... but still it comes out every so often. But now that I am a leader, I feel the other side of it. What it feels like when people are critical of you or disrespectful, etc. And it is so not easy.

I know that I would not feel capable to be the president of any country, no matter how small or large or developed or unstable. And I feel like it would really help us to put ourselves in their situation (not just the glory of it--"oh, I'm the PRESIDENT!!!" , but the real situation--"I'm responsible for a nation of 4.5 million+ people...").

I know that with the situation in Georgia, many people are upset about the lack of work and the displacement of refugees and such. But seriously, the economy now is better than it's ever been--more stable and growing. People are upset that things are so expensive... but things are more expensive all over the world. It's how it's supposed to work. At the same time I really hear the cry of the people living in poverty and I'm by no means saying that they don't have a difficult time-- but I feel like people are only seeing the bad while ignoring the good, and that they are not patient enough to wait for "fruit" to be produced...

But I want to bless the Georgian government, even the opposition parties and their leaders, the poor and the rich, the displaced and the homeless... and say that we are all people with God-given hearts and we stand on the same level before Him. And I pray that our Father God, would bless those who live righteously before Him (with pure hearts and clean hands). And that the work of their hands and the words from their mouths be blessed and prosperous! To bring glory to His name.

I really love Georgia-- not just the actual physical land, but the culture and the vibrancy of the people-- and I will stand here with "her" as long as I am allowed! (which hopefully will be long-- but I still haven't received my resident card yet + my 3 month visa is already finished + with all this political unrest, I have no idea if I the system for giving visas will be working normally...! )

So, Georgia-- I love you and am with you. And leaders (including ones I know personally and people like Saakashvili)-- I respect your position and I understand that it's not easy. And God, please shine Your light in the dark places and champion the righteous.

No comments: