Saturday, April 18, 2009

food and music

FOOD.

Yesterday I bought a "shaurma". It's like meat shaving (kind of like gyro meat) wrapped in lavash and it's generally quite tasty. Anyways, I bought this shaurma and as I was eating away joyfully, I discovered that one of the meat pieces was actually like animal skin with hair still on it. Take a moment to control your urges to vomit. Sooooo.... I can't believe I'm going to confess this-- I took that piece out and actually continued to eat a little more until I just couldn't stand it anymore, then I threw it on the ground for the stray dogs to eat. Seriously.

Also, I realized that when I'm not at DTS and when Marina is not cooking, I eat a lot of eggs. Probably because they are easy and quick and protein. But then I started to wonder if that's really healthy or not. Seriously though, they are like a staple food for me here. But, interestingly, I really quite despised scrambled eggs when I was in the States... and now I eat them quite frequently. I do eat them with mayonaise (it's a Georgian thing) and tkemali/ketchup... so it helps mask the egginess. This is so strange. I'm realizing that one of my staple foods is something that I actually don't even like that much on it's own. Weird. Maybe not so.

MUSIC.

Just some new-to-me music that I like so far. I haven't had a lot of time to listen to them intensely, but what I've been listening to-- I like.

Sandra McCraken- The Builder and The Architect
Brian and Jenn Johnson- We Believe
John Mark McMillan- The Medicine
Grace Williams- Fire Fall
Earth, Wind & Fire- Greatest Hits

3 comments:

Wade and Megan said...

I don't recall ever experiencing animal skin/hair in any Georgian food I ate...thank goodness!

sanctified by truth said...

oh my gosh thats the most disgusting thing i have ever heard jenni!! as much as i love meat, at that very moment i would've sworn off anything that even resembled animal!! eeehhh!!

eggs are good for you (especially because of the protein) but i think they have high cholesterol or something like that..? eeh its better than animal fur!!


we hiked up beezley the other day with the kids and picked a bunch of wild flowers and when we got back to the car toby said 'mom! we should take these to jennay!!' :D him and daniel prayed for you that morning i guess, and we listen to you in the car all the time. :D

sanctified by truth said...

(i told him you live really far away so he said we just need to get a 'really really super faster car' and when i informed him that you cant get there in a car, he suggested we get an airport so we can get an airplane to fly really really super faster to see you..)