Saturday, November 29, 2008

taking action-- looking OUTward

" And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.

May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and will do it."

-1 Thessalonians 5:14-24

I am just so tempted when I come home to get caught up in the, "it's all about me" thing. Which it most definitely is not (all about me), because I am not the only being on this planet.

But I read this this morning and was encouraged to take action to encourage, help, warn. To be patient and kind and to hold onto good. To give thanks and be joyful.

I'm thankful for the reminder. I've been here less than a week, and I was already feeling the laziness kick in. Especially (I think this is the life-long illness with children) when my Mom would ask me to do something, I'm sometimes so slow to do it...and sometimes don't do it at all. So, I'm trying to grow up.

Speaking of growing up...I feel old! (But remember in my last post, I said I used to be afraid of getting old...but now I think that age makes things more beautiful and meaningful?...so it's not a bad thing-- just shocking sometimes). Last night my mom's friend came over with her 2 kids that my brother Josh and I basically spent a lot of our childhood with. And those 2 kids (who used to be like 5 and 7) are HUGE now! Seriously taller than both Josh and I, and all grown up and driving and playing football and stuff. I WISH I would've taken a picture.

Now would be the best time to get a camera, because then I'd have the new-camera fettish where you take pictures of everything. And then I wouldn't have any regrets about not taking pictures of people during my time home. Sheesh. :-)

Okay, off to decorate the house for Christmas with Mom!

1 comment:

sanctified by truth said...

i love you :) we'll for sure get pictures of us old ladies today! ;) (sorry Lizzy, you're old too!) ha!