Wednesday, July 12, 2006

a little bit

Hello there. I was briefly really excited because I though I was going to have the ablilty to post pictures by using the email thing...but I’m not able to. Oh well I guess!

So, Batumi was good. I swam in the Black Sea, and no it wasn’t very black. But I guess they have these special black dolphins that come around, so maybe that’s why it’s called that. We also drove to the Turkish border and a few people prayed for Turkey. It was interesting seeing it in the light because the last time I was there it was like midnight, or some ridiculous hour.

But I think the best part of Batumi was the fact that we got to bring Keti back to Tbilisi with us. Since she returned, I was able to move into Vazi and start to get acquainted with the Nutzubidze Plateau area. I really like it here. At least until DTS starts, I have my own room and it’s so lovely! I wish I could show you all what it looks like. Maybe soon, maybe soon.

Yesterday I was reading in my room, and for the first time, or maybe the second, I really remembered how much I love Georgia. I guess I’ve been so distracted and bewildered to remember that fact. Of course, I really do miss Washington and all that I have there, but it was just so exciting to think that I’m here in some random country half-way across the world from the place I took my first breath. (I’m only halfway trying to sound poetic).

But there really is so much to love. Like the Metro for example. I’m sure most Georgians don’t really care for it. It smells all musty and can be very crowded...but for this American, it’s like amazing. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s the forever-long escalators and the gush of wind that comes as you go down them. I guess that’s my Ode to the Metro or something.

Tomorrow Keti is going to start giving me Georgian lessons. She already has a little bit. “Meh minda ertitsali puri.” That means, “I want a piece of bread.” I guess that could be useful if I ever got lost.

We spent most of the afternoon on Rustaveli (it’s kind of like the main street). I feel like we walked a million miles, but it probably wasn’t that much. We went into this really old orthodox church (just to sort of sight-see I guess) and I found out that the building was 1600 years old. Do you realize that that is older than America? Crazy, I know. Also today I bought a little gypsy girl an ice-cream cone (which is extremely inexpensive by the way, just a little more than a quarter). I’m sure it was her 4th or 5th for the day, but I just couldn’t say no. It was food and I knew she’d eat it. Gypsies...that’s a whole nother topic that I will maybe try to write about later.

I could write more, but I’ll wait until later. <3

No comments: