Saturday, October 20, 2007

some of my bible-time reflections (abridged version)

Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eye service, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:22-24

I want to serve and obey not with eye service, not as a men pleaser, but in SINCERITY of HEART and fearing God. I want to do whatever I do heartily, as to the Lord. I am learning this (although, slowly).

++++++++++++++++++++


Also, the other day the story of David and Bathsheba illustrated God's good character to me in a new way, and our responsibility for our actions. David saw Bathsheba, wanted her, took her, got her pregnant and killed her husband. Bathsheba mourns her husband's death (Uriah the Hittite), and when that is finished, she goes to David's palace, becomes his wife and gives birth. God is displeased, and so he sends Nathan the prophet to rebuke/convict David. David is convicted. He confesses to Nathan and repents. Nathan declares that God has forgiven him, but there are consequences that will follow...his child will die. His child dies. David comforts Bathsheba, his wife, and sleeps with her. Bathsheba becomes pregnant and gives birth to Solomon. The Lord loves this child. (2 Samuel 11-12:25)

Oy mey. I don't get it. It's beyond my understanding. But somehow it's helped me to understand a little more.

++++++++++++++++++++

I'm learning.

No comments: