Tuesday, September 30, 2008

why I like winter

I was sick yesterday. I think it was the first time since my DTS outreach in Khulo, that I've stayed in bed sick. It was, although unenjoyable being sick, quite enjoyable resting. I didn't know I could sleep so much. I was in bed most of the day, and then I went to sleep at 1am, and slept absolutely solidly until 10am. It was crazy. But good. I'm better today. I think it was some kind of food poisoning or something.

The weather is changing, too soon. Actually, it's been quite unpredictable. A couple weeks ago it was so hard to tell. It would be rainy and cold in the morning, like even until 12ish, and then it would get hot. And now, I've had the hope (unmet) for the last few days that that's what would happen now too. But it's just staying rainy and cold. :-(. I guess there's a time for everything though. So, to counter my depressive outlook on the coming winter weather months I'm going to make a list of all the things (that my mind can come up with now) that I like about this time of year.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT DREARY WINTER WEATHER MONTHS:
•I can wear sweatshirts, and just a lot of layers of clothing in general (which covers up the love handles!)
•Being able to drink hot things (tea, coffee, etc) and enjoy the fact that it makes your insides warm (it's not so enjoyable to make your insides warm in the summertime when your outsides are warm too)
•Scarves. SCARVES. I like them.
•Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years festivals, celebrations, FOOD
•Christmas music (SOME...not all, but I can't deny that I like it a bit)
•The back-to-school feeling (I still have it, man)
•Sitting by a heat-producing source (fire, gas heater, another person) when you've been cold for a prolonged period of time
•How pretty it is when it's snowed overnight and you wake up in the morning and see it before it gets destroyed by cars and people.
•I get to wear my big ug-ish slippers and the various knitted socks that people have given/made for me
•Fudge (although that is only something I get to experience when I'm in America, or when my Mom and Dad very kindly and cool-parent-like send me a package containing fudge during the holidays)
•KNITTING. Oh yeah. It's a new hobby for me, just started last year. I still don't know that much about it, basically only how to go forward (nothing about fixing my mistakes or anything) but I like it SO MUCH.

There you go. So, I'm excited winter is coming. I think it will be grand. :-)

2 comments:

sanctified by truth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sanctified by truth said...

let me help you!!:D

*going outside at night and it smells like snow (daniel still argues with me that its just the smell of fireplaces but its totally not!)

*snowball fights!! (nice ones, im a wimp!!)

*snow ice cream

* trees - especially willows - that are coated with frost..

*christmas tree 'shopping'!!

*the fact that you will be home during christmas and i get to see you!!! :D :D :D (thats my favorite!!)

oh, and peppermint sticks in cocoa..or are you stil very much against that? ;)