Monday, September 01, 2008

desks

For some reason I have the back-to-school feeling that I used to have when I was in grade-school. Maybe because it's September 1st, it's also 2:22am and I can't sleep, and my friend just let me know that she's getting ready to leave to the airport to fly to Italy to study there for 2 years--I think it's the combination.

I remember I really used to get excited for school though, and it lasted anywhere between a few days to a week to a new desk change (really, I remember there were 2 types of desks...ones that opened on the top, and ones that were just open on the side.. and it really helped, that change of environment, to make things more exciting).

I also remember once, I think I was in 3rd grade and my assigned seat was by this boy I liked. And I don't remember exactly how it all went down, but somehow my friend told him that I liked him and I remember I was so embarrassed that I hid my head inside my top-opening desk. Talk about awkward. I could have asked to use the bathroom pass and left the room, but instead I was sitting right next to him with my head inside my desk... oi mey. But it was very convenient that I had that kind at the time--it's a lot harder to hide your head in the open side ones.

Well there you go, a brief glimpse into my past-life.


3 comments:

sanctified by truth said...

thats a beautiful story. i liked the top open desks much more than the side ones. they were easier to keep organized for sure.

i dont know how it is in georgia, but here theres that crisp 'time for high school football games' smell in the air..its amazing how just that certain smell can throw you back so many years..


*love you!!*

Leah

ps - check out my blog that i havent posted anything on yet!! :D

http://ohhowhelovesus.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
this is Natan, an israeli-persian guy..
i was surfin' on the net en came across your blog..
Your last post made me feel nostalgic..
en i like the part you talked about the boy you liked.. :)

indeed, i could smell school every year on the 1st of Sep..

you said you were from georgia - could you tell me about your experience in current crisis there (with russains)?

Anonymous said...

Good memories! I love your stories, Jenni!

Megan