Sunday, May 02, 2010

an update

Discipleship Training School
“For this reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness… knowledge… self-control… perseverance… godliness… brotherly kindness… and love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 1:5-8

Our 4th annual DTS has begun and is well under way! • We’re more than halfway done with the lecture phase and are preparing for the 10 week practical outreach that will begin at the end of May. • Our DTS has a special focus of ministering to children and Muslims and so we’ve had a week of specialized teaching on each of those topics. We’ve also had teaching on topics such as: relationships, discipleship, and the Father heart of God. But just listening to lectures and taking in information is not the point or goal of DTS-- it’s to practically apply all that you hear and see into real-life… that means character-growth. It also means being challenged, stretched past the comfort-zone, and called to a higher standard. This process is often painful, but in the end it’s more than worth it. This is now the 3rd time I am staffing a DTS, and I continue to enjoy seeing the way our students change over the 22 weeks. Many come in hardened, bitter, but eager to learn-- and they leave with soft hearts, forgiveness & mercy in them and flowing out of them and they influence the world around them. This is why I love Discipleship Training School! It’s not just knowledge or information, it’s life-change. The most essential.


• And as a staff in DTS, I am constantly challenged as well. From learning how to submit to and obey my authorities (“…consequently, he who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted…” Ro. 13:5), being quick to forgive, slow to react (=holding my tongue), eager to serve the students and staff around me selflessly (“Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” Ro. 13:10)… and the list could go on and on! And also this year, I will be leading an outreach team with 2 staff-helpers. In the past I’ve always led with my close friend and fellow-staff, Diana, but this year we will be separate… so I’m facing many challenges and really feel that God is calling me to live my life at a higher standard than before (with more godly character). •

“...I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:1b-2

OTHER NEWS...
• 
So, the 3 months I spent in Holland were fruitful in many ways. I grew in my relationship with God, knowledge of the Bible, confidence in my value & worth, and I began to develop a very important friendship with a Belgian man named Wim Dufoort. Just one problem… how to continue to develop this friendship?--I was leaving for Georgia. When I met Wim, he was in a transition period, seeking God for the next step he should take in missions (he’s been in YWAM 10 years, in both Holland & India). So after praying & consulting with our leaders, we decided that he would come to Georgia in March, which would give us the opportunity to get to know each other better and seek God about our future together. We’re happy with our progress so far. It’s challenging, fun, enlightening, thrilling, scary, and yet fulfilling. We’ve both been discovering a lot about ourselves: the good and the bad, strengths and weaknesses...and are learning how to grow a healthy relationship. Please pray with us! We want to understand God’s plan for our lives- personally & in ministry.


Prayer Requests...
• MY TONSILS: I’m sure you’ve heard the Facebook news that I was supposed to have my tonsils out… it was true. I went to the doctor because of a small lump in my throat. She diagnosed me saying that my left tonsil is infected and the lump is a symptom of the infection. She said that I needed to have my tonsils removed. In this part of the world, tonsil surgery is still very acceptable and common, whereas in Western countries doctors are now more hesitant to remove them. So I called her and asked if there was another way, she in turn prescribed me some kind of natural medicine and said that it would help… but I’m still here with this small lump that causes me a small amount of discomfort, and I’m not really sure what to do to handle this in the proper and wisest manner. It’s a very inconvenient time, just 3 weeks left before we will leave for our 9 week outreach and I already feel overwhelmed with all that I need to do in this short time. Also it can be challenging to find a doctor with advice or practices that are comparable with Western medicine. I want to be wise, and at the same time not worried (“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” Matt. 6:27)

• MY CAR: I’m still in the process of raising $3000 so that I will be able to pay off my car by June. Thanks to those of you who’ve responded and supported! I’m very grateful!

PLEASE PRAY WITH ME ABOUT THESE THINGS!

1 comment:

Cora said...

Great to get an update from you. I will be praying about your needs :)!